Tuesday 15 November 2011

Football

Since early childhood, I guess football has always formed an integral part of my life. Well, it is not a surprise when you consider that football is one of the most favorite sport in the country. I still remember, when I was really young, about 4-5 years old, how my dad used to take me to football matches. Well, my dad was a great goalkeeper during his career, and a good volley-ball player as well. I will never forget one day when I went to watch a football match at Anjalay Stadium, the match ended up in a general riot.. We had to run through people who were rioting.. I was freaking afraid at that moment..So we had to squeeze among people causing trouble,running for life.. I should admit it was quite exciting!

The more I think about this sport, or maybe the love for sport in general within our family, I think it has all rooted from my late grandfather. He had a vivid interests for all kind of sports and whenever there was any live broadcast on the national TV, he was always the first one to be in front of the TV set. Another good memory related to football was the world cup in Japan/South Korea in 2002. Due to the time difference between these 2 countries and Mauritius, the first football match started as from 9am here and the last one would start at 17.15 pm. At times, there were 4 football matches in a row. It was an absolute no-misser from all of us. Me, my cousin, dad and my uncles would all barge into my grandpa's room and would squat there whole day.. And we had delicious cookies prepared by my grandma.. I should admit I miss both of them a lot now..

No comments:

Post a Comment